Skip to Main Content
Biology - Sample Research Questions for Term 1
- In what ways are microorganisms, that live inside our gut, helpful or harmful to humans?
- What are the effects of agriculture farming (cattle/vegetation) on the carbon footprint (or water use) of the planet?
- How can 3-D printing enhance health care with respect to body parts or organs for people?
- How does a healthy diet affect the three domains of health (physical, mental and social)?
- Is a healthy diet compatible with what is best for the environment?
- How does vaping and brain health affect brain development?
- What changes to your diet can positively affect your brain health?
- What is the effect of diet and exercise on the maintenance of type II diabetes?
- How can diet improve memory and brain health?
- What is the effect of eating only meat on brain health?
- Why is a population like the USA suffering from the highest rates of brain and heart disease?
- What happens to the brain when it is dehydrated? And how do we know?
- How does your intake of water affect your ability to learn?
- Why do we lose a percentage of our water as we age?
- What long term health effects do miners live with?
- Have generations of the mining industry being dominated by working age men impacted life expectancy/population amongst males?
- How have prosthetics motivated people who have suffered a loss of a limb?
- In what ways have prosthetics improved since they were invented?
- How accurate is the prosthetic to a human body part?
- In what ways has the Pine Beetle infestation impacted the regrowth and forestry industry in British Columbia?
- How can movements like the Climate Change strikes have an impact on environmental issues we face today?
- What causes the water scarcity in South America and what can be done to provide water for those who live there?
- How can we (north Americans or British Columbian’s) decrease our water footprint?
- How would the environment be affected if all the stored water in the icecaps was gone?
- In a century, will cities near the ocean be flooded due to the melting ice caps? And how will that affect the biodiversity and ecology of the area?
- How can salt water be turned into drinkable water and can this be a solution to the lack of potable water in some communities?
- In what ways does plastic pollution affect turtle biodiversity? (whale habitats?)
- How long will it take plastic to go away?
- How long does plastic survive in our environment?
- What are the different types of plastic and how can they be recycled in an environmentally friendly manner?
- What are the technological advancements we can use to eliminate the plastic in our oceans?
- Is there a correlation between open pit mines and landslides?
- How far does the impact reach?
- In what ways will making cuts in the fishing industry effect impoverished countries and the people who depend on the fishing industry?
- What is the effect of overfishing on other aquatic species (not the ones being fished)?
- How can we support the fishing industry and economy without impacting the environment?
- What will be the effects on the planet as the Amazon forests are being destroyed?
- Does climate change reduce the regrowth of trees?
- How does deforestation contribute to climate change?
- How does deforestation affect our climate and ecosystems? (could be a particular area in the world)
- In what ways is climate change predicated to affect the mining industry?
- In what ways can tailings ponds be improved so that disasters like mount Polley don’t occur again?
Geology - Sample Research Questions for Term 1
- In what ways is the formation and extraction of pink Himalayan salt different from other types of salt?
- What is the effect of processing uranium ore on the human body on miners?
- What is the environmental impact of mining lithium for Tesla's electric car batteries?
- What influence does plate tectonics have on the global distribution of Tyrannosaur fossils?
- Why are Earth, Mars, and the other Terrestrial planets geologically similar?
- Why do people choose to live in locations prone to earthquakes. volcanoes, and other geological disasters?
Chemistry - Sample Research Questions for Term 1
Physics - Sample Research Questions for Term 1